Easy18

What does your design brief look like? What are your requirements for the boat? What do you want to use it for? What does your budget look like?
Skip

Easy18

Post by Skip » 17 Jan 2016, 17:08

This started out as an exercise in rule beating. The rule being, in Texas, registration was required for any sailboat over 14 feet long. So this design, something to pass the time til it warms up outside, was to be a car toppable proa far closer to one of my venerable canoes (EasyB14 & EasyB12) than to Nomad, still in development.

The idea was to make a dory style hull 14' long and add rudder cassettes about a foot long to each end to arrive at a 16' proa. Seemed to work but
(a) I was cutting a foot off a perfectly good sheet of plywood
(b) Interpretation of the rule subject to governing authority
(c) Registration wasn't really that difficult or expensive
So the boat ended up being two sheets long plus the rudder cassettes.

One sheet of 6mm and three (maybe four) of 4mm should about make the craft. Sails to be cambered panel staysails. Rudders maybe yes, maybe no. After much noodling I think I can make some double acting hinges easily and cheaply. In an ideal world the rudder blades wouldn't be needed. In an almost ideal world a little pop down centerboard style rudder would suffice for downwind courses. Reality is probably some sort of rudder blade is going to be required. I'm comfortable enough with the rest of the craft to possibly build the thing once Nomad is all wrung out and readty to be retired.

Cheers,
Skip
Side.bmp.jpg
Plan.bmp.jpg
EZ18B.bmp.jpg
Gary Dierking

Re: Easy18

Post by Gary Dierking » 18 Jan 2016, 02:04

I was thinking about the same kind of rudders some years ago but never did try them.
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 18 Jan 2016, 14:26

Me too, except I wanted to put a hinge on the windward side, and use sliding flexible PE sheets to cover the gap on the lee side and bottom.
Skip

Post by Skip » 18 Jan 2016, 15:04

My first venture in end rudders was in Bionic Broomstick and they worked well enough to continue with Nomad, though with some differences.
BB had a real cassette configuration with the whole assembly rotating in a socket type arrangement.
Nomads' rudders slide up and down in a shaped socket held in place with bungee cord, the rudder is the leading edge of the hull.
Rather than a socket Nomads' rudders are hinged figure eight style with sections of seat belt webbing.

The good the bad and the ugly (forget ugly tis a tad subjective).
Good - full cassette beats the bungeed half rudder socket all to heck, friction in the system difficult to overcome.
Bad - bungeed half rudder socket. Also for me shaping rudders out of LVL beam is more work than I'd like and heavy finished, next time it's hotwired foam heavily glassed.

What I've gravitated to is a two part cassette split athwartships at the center of the Speer section rudder. Easier to build I think and bungeed together it provides the popup necessary for shallow water rambling.

Hinges will be dual action fabrications similar to cafe or saloon door style. Having a gap open up on low pressure side of the hinge line shouldn't be much of a problem being already in turbulent water. Kia Kia had hinge just on one side and a large gap in the join and apparently did OK.

More to be learned when it warms up a bit.
Amati

Post by Amati » 20 Jan 2016, 04:57

How do you keep the 'bow' rudder from snapping off?

Here in Washington state the Magic length is 16'. So 2 hunks of plywood is just right....
Skip

Post by Skip » 20 Jan 2016, 16:10

Normally the 'bow' rudder will be up (retracted) and the tiller locked. Exceptions based on BB experience are low speed maneuvering (if you can reach both tillers) and beating to windward; BB did better with about a third of the forward rudder down and tiller still locked.

My biggest concern was damage running up on shore but that hasn't been a problem yet, except for sand jamming the rudder in cassette.

Bureaucracies reign supreme without rational reason, I have to register a 14'+ solo sailboat but a nine man 45' canoe is perfectly legal unregistered. Don't want to have the canoes registered but am nonplussed re the dichotomy.