LOL sails again

This is the place to discuss your completed boats, and the practical sailing experience on them. What works, what doesn't? What do you want to change and what would you do differently next time?
cpcanoesailor

LOL sails again

Post by cpcanoesailor » 28 Sep 2014, 15:38

P1030324.jpg
LOL getting ready for test launch
I did a test launch of LOL yesterday. It was quite disappointing. The boat weighs about 230ish kg, and we used two dinghy dollies under the vaka. They had to be hand steered. The yard winch controlled the descent down the ramp. I set the extended ama on a kayak carrier, but it wouldn't stay in place on the cobble beach. When we were almost at the water's edge, one of the thule pins holding the aka lashing together snappled. We managed to redo the lashing without the pin well enough to float the hull, but I forgot to look at how deep it was floating.
The problems:
Aka lashing isn't nearly strong enough. I think I'll try again with much thicker thule pins.
Ama isn't buoyant enough. I could sink it with my body weight. I could extend it by a meter with the extra pipe.
I need to build a cart for launching.
The hull has serious paint problems. The Behr porch and floor paint doesn't stick well to the Titebond III where I used it to seal between hull panels. The solution is probably to scrape it all off and glass the bottom of the hull using epoxy.
The hull may have leaks. I heard some noise from one floatation chamber when I stuck my head in the hatch.
The sailing season is almost over.
Good things:
Vaka seems strong even though it's in 3 sections. I don't notice sagging when lifting from one end.
The rudder beams are very strong. Great for lifting, winching.
The ratchet straps seem to work for holding the akas, deck and vaka together.

I need to think about what to do next. I don't want to spend much more time salvaging this project if it's fundamentally flawed. It would be nice to see how the hull performs.
Last edited by cpcanoesailor on 28 Aug 2015, 18:39, edited 4 times in total.
SimonP

Re: LOL, a dubious beginning

Post by SimonP » 30 Sep 2014, 03:17

hmmm, bad luck. Still, it tells you where the stresses are.
Seems like that ama would have to exceed the length of the vaka to have enough bouyancy
Why not pull it off and use a readymade, ie plastic kayak, just to prove the vaka?
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 30 Sep 2014, 15:32

Yes, better to have structural failure on the beach than in deep water.
I'm not as concerned about the ama buoyancy. It's enough to stabilize the vaka, just maybe not enough to support someone sitting on the windward side of the deck. I had originally spec'd a longer pipe ama, but decided to build it from a single piece of pipe. I can always lengthen it. It's just more work. I like the ruggedness of a PVC ama .
I've rethought the aka lashings. If I cut slots in the deck so the lashing go around the deck beam and tie to the same pin from both sides, that will cancel out most bending stress on the pin. I'll also use much stronger pins.
claudio

Post by claudio » 03 Oct 2014, 17:20

Aloha CP...I like the idea of using ratchet straps for hold downs. I noticed Ruth Wharram is using them on her new design as well! Very cool.
I think your project so far shows big possibilities. Lots of hard work and many good ideas that are worth following up on. It always takes time to sort through the stuff that needs upgrading and modifying...but it's all fun and worth it in the end.
The PVC ama is a good idea. Simple, tough, a good shape. The main hull looks good! 4 inch glass tape along the joints will solve any leaking issues. A cheap, quick and easy fix.
You'll figure out a simple way to connect the whole enchilada. Not a biggy.
So far I would say you're steaming right along! Looking good.
Cheers
c
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 09 Nov 2014, 15:15

IMG_5734.jpg
LOL, floating empty.
IMG_5731.jpg
LOL, floating empty. Draft a little deep, but OK.
After reworking the aka lashings and building a launch cart, I finally got a chance yesterday to really float test LOL.
He floats, with no obvious leaks, at a reasonable draft. The aka is buoyant enough to support my weight on the windward edge of the platform. Good enough for now.

I hauled the anchor and paddled around a little bit. Had lunch afloat.

With a borrowed Laser2 rudder in the aft cassette, and a simple push-pull tiller, LOL is very responsive. It was easy to paddle on the lee side, and point LOL to where I wanted to go.
I sat on the aft deck ahead of the aka, with my feet on the cockpit seat. It was quite comfortable, but a little high above the water.

I tried hanging my 4hp outboard on the outboard sled, but realized that I had mounted it too far forward for the motor to clear the aka. I need to move the sled back.

Hauling LOL back up the beach into the yard with the electric winch was tricky because the ama carrier (upside down on the deck in the photo) kept dragging and twisting LOL to the side. I had to straighten out the cart several times. The haul also strained one of the aka lashing points, which was fine on the water. Maybe I need a towing bridle, so more of the pulling force is applied directly to the ama.

So, in summary, I'm pleased that LOL floats, and paddles well for a 6m hull.

I decided that I will replace the aka lashings with hardware to make the aka joints rigid. This will eliminate the force pulling on the platform, and place it directly on bolts through the aka.

LOL will most likely stay under his tarp until spring.
Skip

Post by Skip » 09 Nov 2014, 19:32

cpcanoesailor wrote: I decided that I will replace the aka lashings with hardware to make the aka joints rigid. This will eliminate the force pulling on the platform, and place it directly on bolts through the aka.
Cam over or ratchet style cargo straps have worked well for some people, the only ones I've used for such attachments was a cam over connector but it was quick and reliable.

Best wishes and I understand the staying under the tarp.
Skip
cpcanoesailor

Re: LOL floats

Post by cpcanoesailor » 03 Dec 2014, 15:57

I changed the thread title, since I'd rather show LOLs progress than fixate on the awkward beginning.

I'm making hardware to provide rigid triangles of support for the aka ends. If I get it right, I'll be able to swing the ama in close the the vaka, while still bearing the weight of akas, ama and platform, for launching and storage. I'm waiting for a 'Pineapple Express' to come and melt the snow. Hopefully after the rain, I'll be able to work on finishing and installing the hardware on LOL.
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 23 Feb 2015, 15:36

Got some work done on LOL yesterday. I installed the tillers, and the downhaul cleats for the masts. I think my rigging plan will work - next time I'll install the main blocks and set up a mast to check everything.
The warm wet winter has been hard on LOL. Lots of mould spots to scrub, and two of the cockpit hatch lids have warped from moisture that got in under the tarp.
cpcanoesailor

Post by cpcanoesailor » 01 Mar 2015, 15:33

I stepped masts for the first time yesterday, and got some of the sheeting blocks mounted. So far, so good. I'll try to get some photos next time.
Manik
Site Admin

Post by Manik » 02 Mar 2015, 21:35

I think it's great you changed the title to fixate on progress, that's the mindset it takes, when you muck around with proas! ;) Keep it up! :)

All the best,
Marco
"Man's mind and spirit grow with the space in which they are allowed to operate." - Krafft A. Ehricke, rocket pioneer